Joshua, Nathan, and I arrived in Houston on Friday. We had been apart for a week so we were ready to be together as a family. Unfortunately, Matt ended up working until 2 AM that day. It was fine though because we had a lot to do. Unpacking the car to the apartment with the two boys took some time. We organized the one bedroom apartment to make it comfy for our family of four. We decorated our miniature Houston Christmas tree. It is amazing how a Christmas tree with lights brings the Christmas feeling in the house. Joshua immediately was excited and ready for our final Christmas celebration.
Nathan's sweet birth family sent these shirts for the boys as well as some other fun gifts for Joshua. They also sent ornaments with their names on them. We are so happy they want to be apart of our lives. Nathan will always know he is loved.

Saturday we waited for the arrival of Nani and PopPop. Joshua had a very hard time waiting because he was very excited. We had a day of thunder storms in Houston so we were just grateful that they actually got to land in Houston. It was a little backed up at the airport for them. Kira flew in later and had to wait for quite a bit longer.
Sunday we found a church nearby and were all ready to go! Matt was on-call but from home. His life in anesthesia begins very early so when 8:45 rolled around and there had been no call we were ecstatic. We made it to the church and Matt's pager went off. We were disappointed to say the least. We rushed back to the apartment for Matt to change clothes and get to the hospital. I decided to stay home at this point since we would be late. Nathan had fallen asleep and Joshua's cough had really gained momentum and he was literally lying in the floor saying he just wanted to sleep. I felt a bit defeated and grumpy. The text from Matt saying that his case didn't actually start for 2 hours after his arrival didn't help.
Nani, PopPop, and Aunt KiKi came over and we had a fun visit. Matt wasn't at the hospital too long either. We went for a walk together and when we returned Nani and PopPop Claus had visited.
Both boys loved all of their gifts. I was very surprised by Nathan; he actually enjoyed opening presents and spent the whole time playing with this car seat toy and slapping the box. He enjoyed his spot with PopPop; they were buddies the whole visit. The adults were spoiled as well as we all received some really nice gifts. Those that know me well know that I really struggle with spending money especially on myself. I have ended many a trip disappointed because I opted out of actually doing anything because I didn't want to do something because it seemed to be too much. I have always been very practical. Matt brings all of the fun into my life. Well, he must have learned that from his Mom. She arranged a get-away for Matt and I when she comes back to visit in the spring plus some other dates for another time. We will be staying at a B&B in April. Before that though, we will go on a carriage ride downtown and out to eat on the Riverwalk. After these last few months of Matt's intense work load, we really need it. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement.
All of my boys wearing their matching lobster pajamas from Nani and PopPop's trip to Maine this summer. Aren't they so cute?
PopPop wanted to check out the USS Texas while in Houston we off we went.
Another highlight, was going to see Christmas lights at the Houston Zoo. We bundled up the boys and walked the short distance to the metro rail. The metro rail experience was as fun for Joshua as the lights. He was thrilled to ride on the train. The lights were beautiful and the crowds were bearable most of the time.
Nathan had a moment where he was completely done. I held him and worked as Kira put it my "mommy magic." Side note feeling like you have "mommy magic" makes one feel very special. I love that Nathan loves me so much. Anyway, after calming him down and carrying him around for awhile. I anticipated needing to feed him and that he would fall asleep after getting so upset but true to his nature he just became the happiest kid around. He stayed awake and was all smiles. He laughed and played the whole ride home on the train with Matt.
I brought a gingerbread house village to do with everyone. Joshua and I really enjoyed doing this last year. It seems this may become a tradition as it was a favorite of his again this year.
One night after kids were in bed, we were all enjoying our technology. We played charades using an ipad app. I joined in with google hangouts and we were all having fun being silly with chatting. We took this picture to send to Jessi and Peter. It would have been nice if we could have all been together at once but technology certainly makes the world a bit smaller.
Joshua helping himself to his gingerbread house.
Nathan smiling and talking to everyone.
Matt was able to be home more than anticipated and we all had a really nice visit together. It was too short but I think good memories were made by all.

















No comments:
Post a Comment