The Cutest Blog on the Block

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Happy 4 months Nathan!

Nathan is 4 months old today.  His smiles are contagious and he loves to smile with his whole body.  His smile quickly turns into a cough type laugh and legs are always kicking.  This is so new to us as seriously I used to look up signs of autism with Joshua.  That kid never smiled!  Nathan is always willing to share a smile.  He had his check up today and we have a big healthy boy!  Joshua was always proportional but all measurements were between 40th to 50th percentile.  Nathan was in the 90th percentile in all categories!  I have two very proportional boys but Joshua better continue to be a sweet big brother because he may not always be the biggest. :-). Nathan is 25.35 inches and he weighs 15.1 pounds.

Unfortunately, his head is misshapen.  We already noticed this and have tried to do all of the suggestions of rotating him, keeping him off of his head as much as possible, etc.  The fact is though that when we had Joshua we secretly smirked when people were having issues like this because we said people read the books and follow...it is really simple.  Joshua alternated head position each nap, hated his car seat, and slept through the night by 2 months.  He loved tummy time and even wanted to sleep on his tummy occasionally.  Of course we supervised that dangerous tummy sleep because we were new parent experts.   ;-) I always fed him his bottle at a different position.  He had a perfect little round head.  However, on child number 2 we are eating a big slice of humble pie.  I have learned that you want to do all of those things but you are also at the mercy of the screams.  Nathan likes to take his bottle in a certain arm.  He always turns his face into my arms and screams when I hold him the opposite way.  He also LOVES his carseat and sometimes this is the only way he will sleep.  I hope the helmet isn't in our future.  There is still 2 months of reshaping time before something like the helmet is your only option.  I guess Mr. Nathan may have to fuss a bit as we try to revisit some of these options.  It will also be easier to push through as is his reflux is now controlled.  I know he will thank us later when his head is round.  I don't know if we can completely fix it though because there is also a little protruding in the front and I don't know what you would do for that.  As far as I can tell the military doesn't cover the helmet though so let's hope it corrects itself.

Anyway, that is the update.  Nathan is a happy boy and full of love.  He looks at me with eyes that say I will love you forever and I just can't believe how blessed I am to have him.  We all love him dearly.  We love the sweetness that a new baby has brought into our home as well as the adventures of parenting a new kid with his own rules.

No comments: