These were some facts that I found about the storm. This report was listed on August 24th.
About 6.9 trillion gallons of rain pummeled Louisiana between August 8 and 14. That's enough to fill more than 10.4 million Olympic-size swimming pools.
31.39: Inches of rain in one day
60,000 Homes damaged
So far, more than 60,000 homes have been reported damaged but the damage may be much greater as the water recedes and people return to their homes. Two huge problems are mud and mold, which can lead to respiratory problems for children and the elderly.
20,000: People rescued
Members of the Coast Guard and National Guard, along with emergency responders and regular civilians, helped take more than 20,000 residents to safety. 1,000 pets have also been rescued.
106,000: Households registered with FEMA
More than 106,000 individuals and households have registered with FEMA for assistance as survivors are in need of temporary rental help, essential home repairs and other disaster-related needs. More than $55 million has been approved to help survivors.
13: Deaths across the state
The weekend following the disaster Mormon Helping Hands were enlisted. Our small ward of approximately 90 members was asked to provide 20 people to help on Saturday and again on Sunday. Matt and many other members attended. Unfortunately, Rachel was out of town and Nathan was sick so I couldn't go. We only had sacrament meeting on Sunday and it was led by our High Priest Group Leader so that more people could go and help. Matt said the work was hard but rewarding. They helped "muck out" a couple of homes. The church has an impressive and organized operation. The crew arrived to find a labeled church building with plastic on the carpet for protection. There were cleaning supplies, tools, packets with houses and directions, and relief kits to leave behind with the victims. The church descended upon these affected areas with approximately 1000 ready to serve members and nonmembers alike. There was food provided for the volunteers and showers set up outside for those who didn't want to stink on their drive home.
The second weekend we were asked to provide 10 volunteers each day from our ward. The call for help was extended and an anticipated 5000 members were expected between the two command centers. Rachel was back so I was able to join in on "the fun." I can honestly say I've never participated in more difficult yet needed work in my life. Everyone assured me this was one of the worst ones they've ever participated in. Yay me! We only were able to work on the one trailer the entire day. It was so hot and the smell was overpowering. This poor home had been flooded and then the owner was unable to do anything to their home s for two weeks so the water had been soaking in to the walls and furniture. This person had lived here their entire life and had accumulated a lot of stuff. We hauled and hauled.
This was the results of our day of work. As I carried out everything this person had collected and just tossed it in a pile I felt emotional many times. Can you imagine losing all of your material possessions?One of my highlights of the day was spotting a pile of pictures in our discard pile and being able to scoot in and save several. They had been inside one of the pieces of soaked furniture. It isn't much but it is something.
We ripped out drywall, cabinets, carpet, and more.
Did I mention it was hot? Sweat just poured off of us all. I am glad that I am no longer an awkward teenager or I may have been humiliated by the fact that it looked like I had peed my pants for awhile. Thankfully, that appearance didn't stay as the rest of the jeans started to appear soaked as well.
This was a day of hard and stinky work. As I drove home I was relieved to be done. It had been hot and exhausting work. It was surreal to see piles of trash lining the streets. It was surreal to understand that in this trailer park everyone would take the FEMA money and do their best to rebuild even though I can't imagine these trailers ever being close to the same. We felt relief that we were finished and able to go to our comfortable homes. I felt sorrow for the homeowner that is going to go back to find a "finished" project. No more mold covered wet walls, no more soaked carpets, no more anything....Just a box of supplies, a group of strangers love and care, and an uphill climb to try to salvage and start over.
1 comment:
I can't imagine what these folks are going through. Glad you were able to provide some relief.
Post a Comment