The Cutest Blog on the Block

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Father's Day

I woke up on Father's Day and knew I wanted to share my thoughts on FaceBook.  It is what we do in our society these days.  We share share share on social media.

My post, "Happy Father's Day to many fathers. My Heavenly Father provides direction and love that is hard to truly comprehend but impossible to imagine life without. My Dad James Cox is and has always been my friend, an example of hard work and sacrifice, and a trusted source for advice. He has listened patiently especially during those 'fun' teen years. My husband Matt Turek is the best Dad in the world for our boys. He plays with them after 24 hour shifts. He teaches them the gospel and he also teaches them to be boys. My father in law Gary Turek raised a wonderful man. He also shows me love and care as only a Dad can. I am grateful this day for my many Fathers."

Sunday, we went to church and had a good meeting there.  I was reminded of a story about my own Dad that I don't want to forget.  When I was 13 our church was hosting a youth dance.  All of the youth ages 12-18 would decorate but only the 14-18 would actually get to attend the dance. I would be 14 in two weeks!  My church leaders said it would be ok to bend the rules and let me attend.  However, my Dad said that we weren't mostly obedient to the rules but we were 100% obedient.  He didn't let me go and I was very disappointed.  However, when I was asked in our church meeting that day about a time when you were blessed by following a rule even when you didn't understand it that story came to mind.  I have been very blessed as I have been obedient.  There wasn't something magical that happened two weeks later in maturity or growth as I turned 14.  I wouldn't have been hurt either if I had attended the dance anyways.  However, I am grateful to my Dad for teaching me that lesson of unwavering commitment and obedience.

Later on Father's Day, Joshua and Nathan gave Matt their handmade crafts.  The boys gave him their traced hands with all the things they loved about Matt written on them.  This was of course glued to some nice paper with the words, "You are Hands Down the Best Dad!"  Thanks Pinterest.  

Joshua was horrified when he learned on Saturday night that we didn't have a treat for Matt so we had to go buy a single serving of carrot cake (Matt's favorite).  We really don't want to have endless supplies of goodies around.  

It was an enjoyable and quiet Father's Day.  




No comments: