The Cutest Blog on the Block

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Overnight Date

My sister Rachel is here with us and generously offered to watch the boys for an overnight date.  Everyone that knows me knows that I am a bore when it comes to spending money on fun for myself.  If I think my boys will enjoy it I am all in but otherwise I usually talk myself out of it.  So touristy places are really hard for me because everything really is a bit overpriced.  Come on someone agree with me.   For Christmas, I received lots of gift certificates and vouchers so I can't refuse.  

I found a groupon for a hotel downtown.  I justified this purchase as an early Valentine's Day treat. There was sparkling cider, roses, and chocolates in our room for an added bonus.  Plus, a very nice and relaxing whirlpool tub.  I want one of these when I grown up.  :-)


We ate downtown at just a regular restaurant.  The restaurant we planned on going to wasn't really in a place we wanted to walk to but we discovered this too late to change.  Then it was too late to really eat at the River Walk or we would miss our carriage ride. It was fine though and the food was good.  

We went on a romantic carriage ride.  It was the perfect night as it had been in the 70s all day.  It was the best way to see downtown.  You aren't fighting pedestrian or traffic.  We just sat back, relaxed, and talked.  We had a no children policy the entire date with no conversations about them period.  This was hard to do but worth it.  I especially need to remember that I am other things than a mom even if that is my most important and demanding role currently.



We went on a ghosts and legends tour after our carriage ride.  I loved this because I enjoy historical fiction and this tour was more about stories about real people that lived in San Antonio than trying to scare you with ghost stories. 


Breakfast was at the hotel and everyone needs a blueberry Texas waffle in their life.  

We did the morning run through the Historic King William District.  



On our carriage ride, we found out that Saturday morning there would be a special kick off for the rodeo.  There were booths from the living history group and of course country music blasting.  


It was all in preparation for the annual cattle drive to kick off the rodeo.  There were about 100 longhorns trotting down Houston Street.  It isn't something we would have fought the crowds to do but since we were there it was perfect!





After the parade, we headed home.  We were greeted with two clean, happy, and well-cared for kids. That really is the perfect ending to a date.  











No comments: