I am curious to hear all of your thoughts and ideas on Christmas gifts for kids. I have heard some that tell their kids that Santa brings gifts. I have heard some say that they are not or have not told their kids that gifts come from Santa. Unfortunately, I can always see both sides of a coin.
I was raised with believing in Santa. I do remember that it was magical to believe that someone else brought gifts in the night. I also remember feeling confused as to why some kids got so much for Christmas and why others received so little from Santa. I also remember the process of mom spinning more stories as I got older trying to keep the secret a secret. I remember also the huge disappointment when I put it all together and realized that it was all a lie! Would the magic of Christmas been lessened if I hadn't believed in Santa or would it still be special because there were gifts to be opened and gifts to be given? I don't know.
Joshua is 2 and a half. He is a clever kid and is absorbing everything we tell him. I know that this Christmas he will get into everything more than ever before. Matt and I have ideas on traditions that we would like to start and we have some traditions that we have already created and maintained in our 6.5 years of marriage. We always do anonymous service for a family and hope that this year we can try to incorporate Joshua into one of our projects. I do the 25 day Christmas devotional every year and we spend time studying and enjoying the Biblical account of the Christmas story. Also, I hope to modify this some this year so Joshua gets into it too.
However, gifts are what we do on the big day. We know the joy that comes in giving gifts but we also don't want to be excessive. Growing up my mom and dad always gave us all that they could and probably more than they could afford. There were 5 kids and one income in my family. We only have one mouth to feed and probably shouldn't buy for him all that we can afford or that we will someday be able to afford. I am trying to come up with some sort of logic in my mind of how much mom/dad should give, how much should Santa give, should Santa come at all? I want to raise a child that appreciates all that he has and that understands the real meaning of Christmas. I don't want to bombard him with things or with the expectation of things but I also like to be fun and be like the crowd. :-)
No opinion is a bad one because we are all finding our own way in this crazy world trying to raise our families the best way we can. So ready, set share! FB or blog comments are much appreciated.
5 comments:
We have had the same discussion--you know how my family rolls; Douglas' family does not roll that way and I have come to appreciate some aspects of their approach. Here's my take on it. Did it ruin your testimony of Christ or lessen your understanding of the true meaning of Christmas because you believed in Santa for a few years? As for how or what to get...set a budget and stick to it. He's still young enough he doesn't have any expectations of Christmas right now. So you are setting the standard. Go on the small side--make it a mix of stuff you were/would get him anyways (underwear/socks) and a few "never ever" fun toys. I remember Douglas' nephew (he was 3 at the time) was ESTATIC to open a bag of jelly bellies from his stocking one Christmas. Kids (well toddlers) are so easy to please and so excited by just the idea of a present. They don't care so much how much it cost or any of that. Give him things you might otherwise normally say "no" to but don't go overboard. Set a gift # or a $ limit and stick to it. As for "from us" "from Santa" etc...I dunno. We're still struggling with that one. Personally, I want my kids to appreciate that we, as their parents gave them the "cool gift" but then that leaves Santa seeming a bit lame. =) You guys are great parents and you won't ruin him over Christmas, I promise!!
My husband and I both grew up getting one, unwrapped gift from Santa that would be sitting by our stocking in the morning. Everything else came from mom and dad. My parents didn't really like the idea of some fictional man getting all the credit...they wanted us to know that they got us gifts because THEY loved us. I have always liked that approach, and will probably stick to it. I also think it gets rid of the question of why Santa would bring some kids more and fancier. We haven't really talked to Tylie about Santa much, but it's amazing how much they pick up on just from living in the world (even at such a young age). I don't talk it up much, but I also don't want to crush her...I don't have a problem with her believing in him, but I don't want him to be a really big deal.
Thanks ladies. Great thoughts. I like the "did it lessen your testimony" that is a good rule to apply.
Al and I each got one Santa gift too, along with stocking stuffers. Mine was always the biggest gift but Al's informed me it doesn't have to be--the big gift can be from us and Santa can bring smaller ones. All great advice you've gotten. I don't really have a traumatic experience with learning Santa wasn't real, being the youngest I just knew before I was told. But I do remember pretending to believe even though I knew he wasn't real. As long as you make other traditions just as exciting and filled with purpose I think you'll be set. Looking back at my childhood that's what I remember most--along with the magic surrounding the holiday (not sure if Santa was a big part of that magic though). Have you seen some of the comparisons of Santa and Christ? A friend informed her oldest son that Santa wasn't real by explaining those comparisons and that Santa wasn't necessarily real but that we can all be "Santa's" She then clearly explained that although she's telling him Santa isn't real, that she would NEVER say that about Christ, he is absolutely real etc. and bore her testimony. She said it was one of the most spiritual experiences she's ever had with her son and that he talks about it in a faith promoting way. So, I think in the end if it's handled right it can be turned into something amazing. I too remember great joy as a teenager in being a secret Santa and doing good deeds for others--and before I did I was always so jealous of my older siblings who did it without me (they would do it late Christmas Eve night). That's what Joshua will really remember as that's already your guys' tradition--serving!
My mom always maintained that toys came from Santa and anything else came from mom and dad. But I think I like the idea posted by some of your other commenters on only one thing coming from Santa. As far as the amount, for the past few years I have gotten each of the kids two toys (I'm stingy I know). But they get things from other people as well, and I don't want them to have so many things that it gets crazy. The other things I get them are things that they need anyway. But I try to make it fun versions of those things. For example, Eli was very excited to open Cars socks last year! Just as excited about that as he was about opening toys.
Post a Comment