The Cutest Blog on the Block

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go

 This is going to be a long one so if you want to skip and just look at pictures I totally understand.

Matt saved some days off and we took a trip back home to South Carolina.  Our trip started with a huge adrenaline rush.  We had the hardest time going to sleep the night before because we knew we had to be up early.  You know how it is when you are lying on your pillow wishing you were asleep looking at the clock saying okay if I fall asleep right now I will get 5 hrs...4 and a half hours....4 okay you get the idea.  Well we finally fell asleep and Matt did not set the alarm the right way.  I woke up to a text message from my mother-in-law that simply read "boarding?"  AHHHHHH  This was at 5:21 and our plan was to be at the airport at 5.  We managed to put our contacts in, brush our teeth (okay this was more of just a swish and spit), grab our suitcases, and our kid and pulled out of the neighborhood at 5:30.  We literally flew to the airport and thankfully saw no San Antonio law enforcement.  We gratefully own a running stroller since we desperately found a parking spot in long term parking and ran to check-in.  The nice people of Air Tran didn't charge us for our bag even though it was 5 pounds over weight claiming that since Matt was military it was free.  We know this is only for when you are on military travel but we didn't mind because we didn't have a second to spare.  We sprinted then to security and I confidently pushed our stroller to the special assistance line.  We went through security without any hiccups and dashed to our gate.  We were the last ones on.  We sat down at 6am and the wind was beneath our wings at 6:15.  Our hearts slowed down to a normal pace at about lunch time.  We were so grateful to make our plane and our bag even showed up with us even though it had a late tag so we were told we may have to head back to the airport that night to retrieve it.  Now, if that wasn't enough excitement Joshua was NOT thrilled with the airplane.  Once we were in the air he was better but sitting there waiting he would scream the entire time. The first flight he kept pointing to the back of the plane and saying that way.  I was fine to stretch and I needed to change him anyway since that was skipped in our 9 minute departure.  I knew I was in trouble when as I am hauling him in his pjs to change his diaper and clothes he is telling all of the passengers bye bye.  We squeeze into the bathroom to begin this changing magic in such a small space and he is hysterical.  We return to our seats and he is screaming he wants to go the other way and he wants off.  Sigh- We made it.  We did our connection and I waited until the last minute to board.  Honestly he wasn't bad and all the passengers commented on how well behaved he was on the plane.  As the parent though you are definitely feeling the pressure to keep your child quiet and happy.

We arrived to Matt's parents smiling faces.  Joshua was of course thrilled.  We then drove straight to Zaxby's a delicious chain that doesn't exist in SA which consists of chicken tenders, texas toast, and a delicious special sauce.

Later, we all went strawberry picking.

 Then it was to everyone's favorite place Wal-Mart.  Joshua convinced NaNa that he "needed" these sunglasses.  She tried to show him several options but he insisted he wanted pink ones.  At least he didn't also get the purple/pink tinkerbell backpack or the purse to match.  :-)
 Sunday we took off for church with the rest of the Turek Family.  Joshua was an angel.  Why are your children better for others?  Kira is the nursery leader so Joshua really enjoyed playing with his Aunt Kiki after the first hour of church.

We said our goodbyes and it was time for the Cox Family portion of our trip.

My dad and Joshua had lots of exploring to do outside.
 Dad bought a swing and Joshua loved it.  Yes, that is a tractor you see in the background.  :-)
 My brother Jimmy had to help with the swinging too.  Joshua repeated "Jimmy is awesome"  all week.  My brother didn't mind that phrase one bit.
 Sunday afternoon there were tons of family and friends all to visit with and we celebrated Joshua's birthday a little early.
 An old college friend of mine came to the party too.
 He also loved to jump on the trampoline but I thought this was too cute.
 Monday my mom, Matt, Joshua, and I went to our (Joshua's) favorite place in the world Chick Fil A.  Joshua loved their play place even though I cringe when I think of the germs hidden in these kid only tunnels and slides.  Gross!
 Killing time in the dollar store

 We went to Daddy Joe's for BBQ southern style.  Delicious!

We left the little one and went to see the Hunger Games- FUN.

I took a pic with my ipod during the prayer one meal because I love his new "eye closing"  I don't think he saw me, do you?

 My dad took off of work Tuesday and the twins didn't have to be at school until noon so we hit the trails.  I loved wandering through Kings Mtn National Park.  I love the green and the tall trees.  I would say I also loved the quiet but with this crew there is no such thing.

 We tried this place called Harold's since it has been featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives.  My parents said we shouldn't have...hahaha.  It wasn't anything to write home about but its about the adventure.  :-)
 My sister made it back from a work trip to Chicago Tuesday night and we chatted way too late.  I miss seeing everyone!

Wednesday was a long car day.  We drove from my parent's house a couple hours to our home during medical school.  Matt and Joshua spent some time at the medical school.  I met friends for lunch.  Then we played at an old friend's house to kill time for dinner with friends that evening.  We did a lot of eating this trip.  Why do we all feel we have to eat to visit?  :-)
 Wednesday evening we headed back to Matt's parents house to finish our vacation.  After so much eating, we had to ramp up the exercise.  Joshua included...
 Thursday was a stay home and relax day while everyone had to work.  Matt even tried to study a bit. We took Joshua to my mother-in-law's school.  Joshua was less than impressed as usual with her school; he hates going there.  Is this a sign for the future?  We still had to show him off though.

Friday my mom-in-law arranged for Joshua to have some professional pics taken.  I hope we will have those soon but while the pro was snapping photos so was my father-in-law of al of us.  He captured some great ones.

Joshua and Aunt Kiki chilling on the swing.
 Who do you think we are staring at?
 The focus of my world besides Matt of course.
 Love this pic of my mom-in-law

 At night Matt and I both will give Joshua a kiss and a hug during the bedtime routine.  He loves to put his hands behind our heads and make us kiss each other too.  I know someday this will gross him out but for now he loves it.  :-)  This pic though he is sneaking one for himself.


After pics, it was time for more Chick Fil A Joshua request it then it happens.  This kid seriously needs a sibling so he will not be the center anymore.  ;-)  Then he went home to take a nap with grandpa and it was time for shopping.  My mother-in-law and I are very similar so we have so much fun just wandering the stores together.  Kira, Matt, Mom, and I had a wonderful afternoon together.    

That evening we went for some Mexican food South Carolina style because there is a difference.  After the evening family walk/jog and getting Joshua to bed, Matt and I took off for another date.  We were spoiled this week for sure.  

Saturday, Matt's cousin Amanda along with her husband and two daughters came to play.  Joshua loved playing with his cousin and visiting with family.  We had cupcakes and he opened presents for his still not quite arrived birthday.  Unfortunately, Joshua was running a fever that afternoon so he was a little on the irritable side.  We hope he only shared love with his cousin and not some type of bug.  :-/

Sadly, Saturday night arrived and it was time to pack the bags, triple check the alarm clock, and prepare for our 5 am departure.  Joshua ran a fever all day Saturday and Sunday but he was a little trooper on both flights.  He wanted his new kangaroo to look out the window at the sky the whole trip.  

We had a wonderful time with our families and our friends.  We are truly blessed and we recognize it.  It was sad to leave everyone and it has been hard this week as Joshua runs through the list every morning of all the people and animals he wants to see.  First on his list is usually Sassy (Kira's dog) haha sorry grandmas.

Well I won't post any videos this time because although Joshua is cute Matt and I provided way too much talking and silly parent commentary to publicly share.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Looks like a fun trip. I know you have lots of organizing to do but next time let me know and I could come up to Columbia to see you! I would love to!