The Cutest Blog on the Block

Monday, March 27, 2017

We are adopting!


We have signed up for another BIG adventure!  We have been chosen to adopt TWO precious GIRLS!  We were contacted on March 6th by the birth mother.  The next few weeks have been agony then peaceful and then agony again as we waited to know if we were going to be adopting the girls.  The birth mother is vigilant and didn't take her decision lightly.  Her story is one of tragedy and strength that we will share at another time.  We corresponded via text, email, and phone.  However, in between each message as I would wait I would think.  Thinking is dangerous, especially when all you have to think about are questions.  In her first email to us she told us the twins were identical and that there was a chance they would have cystic fibrosis.  Matt and I are both aware of this terrible disease but didn't feel a hesitation in our response.  We view this adoption path as pregnancy.  If I were pregnant ,and the doctor told me my child had a disease, I would be devastated, but I wouldn't say, "No, thank you."   We are overjoyed that we are going to have daughters but we are pleading for their health every day and night.  Fear is not faith.  We have faith in His plan for our family and for our girls.  We had moments as we waited for the birth mother to decide that we were terrified she would say yes and simultaneously terrified she would say no.  It is human to wonder if we are "enough."  Will we be enough for the twins?  Will we be enough for sick twins?  There was a lot of fasting and prayer and every time we came back with the same answer.  "If this is meant to be then it will, and you will all be enough.  Remember you are all my children.  I will always provide."  

We had another moment of fear and my mother-in-law sent us this quote by Elder Rasband, "Most of all, we need our Savior, our Lord, Jesus Christ. One of the accounts from scripture that has always spiritually moved me is when Jesus Christ walked out on the water to meet His disciples who were traveling in a ship on the Sea of Galilee. These were leaders newly called, like many of us on the stand today. The account is recorded in Matthew:
“But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with [the] waves: for the wind was contrary.
“And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
“And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, … and they cried out for fear.
“But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.”
Peter heard that wonderful call of encouragement from the Lord.
“And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
“And [Jesus] said, Come.”
Pretty bold. Peter was a fisherman, and he knew about the hazards of the sea. However, he was committed to following Jesus—night or day, on a ship or on dry land.
I can imagine that Peter leaped over the side of the boat, not waiting for a second invitation, and began to walk on the water. Indeed, the scripture says, “He walked on the water, to go to Jesus.” As the wind increased in strength and force and as the waves swirled about his feet, Peter became “afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried [out], saying, Lord, save me.
“And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him.”
Such a powerful lesson. The Lord was there for him, just as He is there for you and for me. He reached out His hand and drew Peter to Him and to safety."  I'm sure I will have moments of weakness where like Peter I have fears and doubts.  For now, though we feel strengthened and excited.  We are leaping off the boat and excitedly expanding our family.

Telling the boys was the best!  Joshua smiled the biggest smile ever.  Nathan started dancing around and showing us all of the silly faces he would make if they cried so he could make them happy.  Since then, individually the boys have expressed their gratitude that God answered their prayers.  Joshua said that's probably why he's getting two since he has had to wait for so long.  Nathan said that there are two babies because sharing is hard to do.  They picked a girl movie out for us to watch, which hasn't happened since Joshua decided princesses are for girls only.  Both boys said they wanted to practice for having sisters!    

I shared with the birth mother the excitement from the boys and from our entire family.  I waited for her to respond and it wasn't immediate.  I started thinking, "Oh, no maybe she's have second thoughts.  Maybe she's panicking a little by making this official."  The next day she said, "I thought that after I made it official I would feel sadness over the reality of placing the girls.  However, all I feel is peace and contentment."  Talk about cloud nine for us!  We feel extremely blessed to again be able to expand our family with the miracle of adoption.  The girls are due on August 7th but we anticipate their arrival being early to middle of July.

Prayers for the Tureks and for our strong birth mother and two precious girls are greatly accepted!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so happy for all of you. I know many prayers have been offered on your behalf..Can't wait to meet them.

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you! I've always wanted to have twins, so I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all the great stories you'll have!