The Cutest Blog on the Block

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

February 1-14

Matt had a work trip February 1st-4th.  We arranged for me to accompany him on this trip with the help of Rachel, Nani, and PopPop babysitting the boys.  This trip was such a treat!  We contemplated going someplace adventurous like New York but figuring out the when and the details left us both just puzzled and tired.  We know San Antonio and miss San Antonio so we decided to do it.

We flew from Gulfport to Houston and then from Houston to San Antonio.  Except we didn't get out of the plane in San Antonio because it was too foggy and we didn't have enough gas to wait it out so we had to fly back to Houston and refuel.  It was frustrating but seriously I discovered that I'm only uptight with my children.  I made a plane friend and she and I talked nonstop on our return.  Once we finally arrived on the ground in San Antonio it was an easy process to get our bags and rental car.  We ate at all of our favorite places including The Gristmill.  We love Gruene, Texas so that was our first stop and a good thing since the weather dropped 30 degrees from our first day to our last day.


We also went to Buc-ee's, the biggest best gas station/restroom ever!  We always loved to wander through Buc-ee's.


The hotel the conference was at wasn't in our usual part of San Antonio but it was still very convenient to everything and we had a great view.

We ate the best tortillas in the world at Alamo Cafe.


I enjoyed some alone time.

We went to the Riverwalk one evening and (finally) ate at Ruth's Chris.  Matt had a gift card for his birthday.  It didn't disappoint and I may never be able to eat a regular steak again.

This is me smile grimacing before I took off to spend the morning with my friends.  It was almost 30 degrees colder than when I arrived on Wednesday.  I BOUGHT clothes for this trip because it was going to be warm and I only had winter clothes out.  I really missed my winter clothes!!!


There were several friends missing from the picture but we are busy moms so we forgot until the end.  To simply say I'm coming to San Antonio and to have one friend offer to host and then so many others drop their busy routines and come meant the world to me.  We picked up like I hadn't been gone almost 2 years.  It felt like home.


Then that afternoon/evening we went to the San Antonio temple and Kneaders.  It was wonderful to drive less than 20 minutes and be at the temple ready to work.  


Saturday was our final day and we spent most of it in the airport but before that we slept in, we ate at the original Rudy's BBQ and splurged on jackets.  We were tired of freezing!



Meanwhile back in Mississippi, the boys were ruling the roost.  


I don't have pictures because I remember I was on VACATION!  I know they were spoiled rotten.  They ate goodies and more goodies.  They went to the trampoline park, Target, and much more.  The boys were well cared for and didn't seem to miss me in the least.  :-)
Sunday we hit the ground running.  Nani and PopPop had to travel home to SC.  Matt had early morning meetings for church.  I taught Sunday School and it was my turn to teach in Relief Society.  We needed to have a snowball fight to get our wiggles out.


That week Joshua received several belt loops at his scout meeting.


Nathan wanted to make cards for his friends but he didn't want to pose for a picture.


We went to a baby shower and literally were showered.  We ran to the car right outside the house but we were soaked!  The treat was riding with an old friend and chatting the whole time!

Nathan decided to start peeing standing up. "Woohoo, I just peed standing up I'm a grown up."  I can't say that I am thrilled with this change since he gets distracted and turns to tell us things while peeing....

Nathan had his ENT and audiology follow up.  He was FINALLY given the all clear!  I called that afternoon and he has an appointment for a speech evaluation for this week.  Shockingly easy and fast!  A couple of days later I took Nathan to the dentist.  He LOVES the dentist.  However, this time we waited for over an hour!!!!  When it was finally his turn, he had listened to other kids screaming, he was hungry and thirsty, and basically DONE.  She flipped the light on which he has always been sensitive to light.  He started crying and told her he wasn't going to do it.  He threw himself out of the chair.  He turned his whole 45 pounds to jello.  I wrestled him back in the chair.  Then,  I tried to hold him down and hold his mouth open.  It was quite an unpleasant scene.  After all the bribes were deemed useless it was time to go.  The hygienist tried to at least brush with fluoride but Nathan had saved his spit and as she got the brush in he just let it flow out.  As we were leaving the lady tried to give him a balloon for being good.  I politely refused but I'm sure my face said, "Are you kidding me?"  Now, I recognize Nathan fans that a lot of this was not his fault.  He's 3.  Long wait.  Blah Blah Blah.  But STILL no balloon deserved.  Am I right?  We were supposed to go to his Bear Cub Class afterwards but after the appointment took FOREVER it was over.  Nathan asked if he could go to his class but I told him for throwing a fit in the floor and spitting we would not be going.  He sincerely cried and apologized.  He told everyone the rest of the day that he was so sad that he messed up and would really be good the next time.  He then asked if he could make me an I'm sorry card.  This kid melts my heart all the time.  I felt like this actually made an impression on him which is hard to do. 

Saturday it was Mardi Gras parade day.  We don't really get Mardi Gras but it is a HUGE deal here.  The boys get it because they think standing on the street and having candy, beads, and actual toys thrown to you is a holiday they can get into.  Now, this was a bit of an adventure.  We are white people and we are usually the majority.  I have only experienced being a minority maybe once.  We were the only white people attending or participating in the parade.  Nothing wrong but we (I)definitely felt like we missed a memo of some kind.  It was loud and long but the kids were thrilled with their goodies and I can put a big check mark next to Mardi Gras parade.


Sunday Nathan was having a really hard time sitting still during sacrament meeting.  He was being loud and sassy to all that crossed his path.  I told him we were going to the hallway.  He ran from me and we ended up walking/running out of the chapel on the opposite side we were sitting on.  You know it is so fun having your husband as the Bishop with the bird's eye view each week.  I took him out to the couch and we were going to have a chat.  I asked him what he thought his punishment should be for acting like that.  He sat for a moment and very seriously said, "Mom, you shouldn't let me come to church anymore."  WOW!!!!  I calmly told Nathan that I didn't think he liked the first part of church so that wouldn't be a punishment.  I told him that a punishment is when you love something and then I would take it away to make him sad so that he could learn not to do that anymore  (I'm feeling very proud of my great explanation.)  So, Nathan what should be your punishment?  He then says, "I guess you can't punish me then because I'm Nathan and I'm always HAPPY!"  


Yesterday was Valentine's Day.  Joshua had his teachers' and classmates' valentines all ready,  He had a great day at school.  He loves it!

Nathan had fun running errands especially since we stopped by our favorite store, Target.

Both boys loved their helium balloons.  Nathan picked his out and he told everyone in Wal-Mart all about his paw patrol balloon and how happy it made him to have it.  Then we wished everyone a Happy Valentine's Day.  

No, he isn't wearing pants.  He has a hard time getting them back on after going potty and he really loves being naked.  You are lucky he has on a shirt.  :-)

We enjoyed our tradition of our family love dinner.  Joshua loves alliteration so he thought Lovely Lasagna sounded good.  Plus, we needed sugar since Valentine's is all about being sweet. 



Yes, Nathan is eating like a dog.  We have had a hard time with him eating healthy this last week so we have been using our imaginations to make this better.  Three days in a row he has eaten without as much complaint since 'if you eat you become a dinosaur or in this case Rubble from Paw Patrol.'

Matt and I ended the evening watching Ever After.  Matt fell asleep with his head on my lap but I didn't care. I appreciated that he picked a movie for me.  








No comments: