The Cutest Blog on the Block

Monday, November 30, 2015

Thanksgiving Trip Part 1

I packed for everyone and loaded up the van Friday night.  Then Saturday morning I drove my crew to SC.  I was excited and nervous since this would be the first time home without Mom.  Plus, I hate driving and I hate big cities so I was a bit apprehensive.  We traveled well and made the trip in 9 hours with rain, traffic, and two stops.  I am hardcore when it comes to travel.  I am not a explore along the way type girl.  You run to pee and you only pee when we need fuel.  You should also pick stops right off the interstate on the right hand side of the road.  :-)

Nathan eventually fell asleep after yelling all through Atlanta. 

Aunt Lizzy was ready with costumes she bought for $2 after Halloween Clearance,  I know my Mom was so proud!  Lizzy may not have extra cash but she always tries hard to reach out to both boys and be a really awesome aunt through small gifts and calls.





Sunday we attended church in my childhood ward.  It is always nice to see those that have known me forever.  There is also something healing about being around those that know my loss and that loved my Mom too.  Sunday afternoon was filled with visits with members of our extended family.  Julia outdid herself; the house was spotless and she prepared snacks for company on Sunday.  She had meals planned out and snacks for the boys for the whole week.  She also had activities and the boys were in heaven the whole time.  They played hard!



Monday, Rachel and I spent the day with Jimmy and Megan and our new nephew Collin.  I can't believe I am an aunt!  Collin was born at 28 weeks and has been doing amazingly well.  He is still in the NICU but we were able to see him now a week later and I was amazed at how tiny he is but yet still a little baby full of life!

Monday night I went to see the last Hunger Games movie.  I felt weird having that much time away from children but I enjoyed the movie!


Julia and Joshua discussed his new love for Alabama football.  They had fun saying roll tide and then Joshua explained that he also loved LSU.  Julia recognizes she has some work to do.



Tuesday was an eventful day.  Wandering the mall first with the purpose of meeting Santa.  Neither boy wanted to meet the big guy but by the end of our time at the mall Joshua became concerned that his list may not be delivered if he didn't tell him.  After sitting on the lap, you receive an elf hat which Nathan definitely wanted so he paid his dues on the lap too.









Then Tuesday afternoon things got interesting as Nathan opted out of napping and instead explored.  He managed to get a fishing hook stuck in his finger.  It was our first accident related trip to the doctor.  I was grateful that we were able to call and a family friend said we could go to his practice instead of waiting at the E.R.   We would have been there forever because Nathan wasn't even crying after we got there.  The numbing shots didn't work though and the 30 minutes spent getting the hook out was agonizing for all of us.  He moved on and recovered quickly though.  However, Joshua was the one that needed comfort.  Three days later he was still talking about the trauma of seeing Nathan hurt and hoping he could someday forget this and get it out of his head.  Thankfully, Joshua didn't accompany us to the doctor or he really would have been traumatized. 



While we were at the doctor, Joshua and Grandpa built a fire.  Joshua loves the freedom here.  He builds fires and feeds chickens. 


When we got back they were still out there so we tried to join in but my Dad was worried about Nathan jumping in the fire or rolling through briars because he was being wild. 



We stayed out for awhile but mainly with Nathan being held. 


Wednesday we met up with Nathan's birth family at The Big E.  The boys LOVE playing here.  I love it because Nathan has about two hours where he is a pretty important kid.  His birth mom is amazing with him.  She follows him wherever he wants to go and they do whatever he wants to do.  The joy evident on everyone's face fills me with such happiness that I will continue to do this forever.  I love that Nathan will have an open door that he can have as much of a relationship as he wants without having to make an initial potentially scary/awkward contact.  It was never closed.  I love him and I love our adoption story. 










No comments: