I have been changing plane tickets and debating on when to travel to SC since the doctor first announced his intention to induce our birthmom on May 30th. We finally decided to make a leap and all three travel on Saturday with the belief that the baby would be born sometime in the next couple of days. We got up early in the morning and Megan drove us to the airport (what a great friend)! It was a longer travel day than we are used to doing but we arrived without any incidents along the way. Joshua really loves to fly!
We were able to spend Saturday evening and Sunday visiting with both of our families. Happy Father's Day to both of our Dads!
Ready to go!
Sunday afternoon our birthmom was admitted to the hospital with pre-eclampsia so we knew (hoped) the baby was coming on Monday. We woke up Monday morning exercised and showered when the call came that the doctor had decided to do another amnio (this would be number 3) and wait for the results (another day or two) and then decide when to deliver the little guy! I was so disappointed but before I had time to really be sad another call came saying nevermind they were inducing her now. AHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I think I did five circles around the room without making any real progress. Matt calmed me down and reminded me that inductions can still take a little time and that being dressed, drying my hair, and eating breakfast were all reasonable activities. We picked up our rental car and drove to the hospital.
We then began the waiting game. We wandered the hospital and I never put my phone out of sight. The afternoon brought sad news. We had been misinformed and we actually wouldn't be provided with a room or any space to be handed our precious baby. I cried but I was comforted that all would be well. We found a hotel nearby for the night and continued to wait at the hospital.
We also had a chance to visit with the birthfamily and opened these sweet gifts from them.


Meanwhile, Joshua was 30 minutes away with family. He was sad and ready for one or both of his parents. We debated on what to do and decided that we would drive the half hour and eat dinner with him. Then we would probably put him to bed and then go back to the hospital to wait. I asked the family to let me know when she had progressed to an 8 thinking that would give me plenty of time. We actually ate someplace closer than the full 30 minutes because I didn't want to be too far away. I rushed everyone through dinner because my nerves were getting to me. We stood in the parking lot debating on if we would all drive to the hospital or if we should put Joshua to bed first and then go to the hospital. The call came that we needed to come now the baby was coming! We were in the car and on the interstate literally in 2 minutes. Before we made it two exits the text came that the head was out and then he was all the way out! I couldn't believe it. I hadn't left my waiting post all day and I had literally been gone for an hour and I was missing out. Matt drove a little on the quick side and by a miracle we actually still made it to the nursery window before our bundle arrived.

I received this picture message from the birth family while I waited at the nursery.
The moment he came in my emotions became too much to keep inside. He was perfect. I had been so worried about his health and here he was in front of me absolutely perfect! The nurses brought him over to the window as all of our faces (extended family had all arrived too) were inches from the glass. They mouthed asking if I was Vanessa and told me one minute. Then they wrapped him up and rolled him in the hospital bassinet out to the hallway. My heart was pounding and I was shaking. I think I was nervous to actually meet him and overjoyed at the same time that this dream was becoming a reality. The nurse looked at me and started crying herself. We took a quick family photo and I was able to go back to the nursery to see my son.
Only I was supposed to be able to go in to the nursery because of it being their workspace and only providing us with one bracelet but they were wonderful and let Matt and Joshua come in.
6 comments:
I'm a hott mess over here! Thank you for sharing this all friends!! Such a beautiful blessing! And the birth family gave him gifts?! Melt my heart! What a precious thing to keep for him! We love you!
Tears! Thanks for sharing. What a blessing.
AMEN such a blessing from God! BLESS you cuz
Such an amazing story! You are so wonderful to record every thought and feeling! You will be able to go back and tell little Nathan his birth story over and over again without forgetting any detail! Thank you for sharing with all of us! Love you! Can't wait to meet him!
I am so happy for you! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. It's too bad I won't be able to meet your little ones when I am in sc in August.
Oh my! I've been unplugged for several days and missed this post! How sweet and precious! What a wonderful birth story. Reminds me of Grant's entrance I was so completely nervous and scared and as soon as I saw his face I melted with love and all the worry disappeared! Gotta love the power of a newborn!!
Post a Comment