Today on The View (which I only record to give myself a chance to yell for a few minutes each day as I watch the Hot Topics portion of the show) a statement about women being "more" than basically a stay at home mom baking all day was discussed briefly. This discussion isn't a new one on this show.
Such comments were made
Didn't we realize it was a new day for woman? Women shouldn't be put down as housewives anymore! Women are smart and educated with the potential for greatness in the work place and in society. Joy said, "I got so sick of women being characterized as staying home and baking in the kitchen. This isn't the 1950's. Women now have a choice. They can actually do something."
Joy, I couldn't agree with you more. Women do have a choice. Except it seems to me that this choice is only applauded when it means you choose to work or choose to do something else that shows how progressive and "free" you can be. Why can't women also embrace this new day for women as described by so many feminists and choose to stay home and choose to bake cookies for their families. Why does this make these women less? If it is all about choice then let's applaud both choices and not seek to condemn those that do choose to stay home.
I loved my job as a teacher. I only worked for 3 years by some standards the investment of a college education was wasted with the amount of money I brought into our home. However, I believe women do have the potential for greatness. I feel that I should seek every opportunity to better myself but who is to say what you should do with all of your knowledge once you get it. Will Joshua not benefit from my example? Is it not okay for me to be satisfied as "just a stay at home mom" without feeling the need to explain what else I have accomplished? Can I not be a modern woman and say that I get great pleasure out of cooking, baking, cleaning, and taking care of my family? Is it a waste of my degree to spend everyday teaching my son? We are each free to make our own choices. It is just a shame that women that choose to make the choices of the old days are made to feel that they are less than our new and modern counterparts that seek to have it all and actually "give back to society" in the workplace. I must be mistaken but I thought that raising a responsible and kind human as well as providing a peaceful home for all of us was a contribution to society.
6 comments:
"like" I totally agree. What IS up with feeling like you need to explain all the other great things in life that you've accomplished.
Well said and I couldn't agree more.
Well said! With all of this 'political correctness' in our society, you would think they would be more sensitive to the idea that staying at home is a working job! But then again, the family isn't valued like it used to be. Snuggle your little one and be proud of yourself for being there for his every new experience!
Thanks for posting your rant. I know that the impact I would have made in the workplace is nothing compared to the impact I have in my home. I would have been forgotten 5 minutes after retirement but my legacy at home will never be forgotten.
Yowzah! There must be something in the water recently (or at least the media); did you see my post yesterday? We are speaking the same language.
Nice blog cuz! I agree completely. I regret the years I wasted in the workplace when mine were little. But I have no regrets about the income we lost when I decided to stay home with them. I know that with mine entering middle school they need me now more than ever and I am glad to be here with them. The truth is I always felt like a failure when I had a "job", but since I started my career as a SAHM I feel like a success and a winner. Who cares what anyone else says. My family and I know that what I am doing is best for ALL of us. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment