The Cutest Blog on the Block

Sunday, June 19, 2016

June Traveling

Matt had his oral board exam scheduled for Raleigh, NC with a review course scheduled the week prior to the exam.  Since Raleigh is only 3 hours away from our families we decided to make it a trip!  We all drove together to South Carolina where we met Matt's Mom and Dad.  We ate at Zaxby's and they graciously let Matt borrow their car.  After dinner and lots of hugs I took the boys to my Dad's house and Matt took off for Raleigh, NC.  We didn't hear from Matt for the next week as he was busy for 14+ hours each day.  The boys and I stayed busy.  The boys love going to my Dad's house and just staying put.  They love to jump on the trampoline, explore outside, and help Aunt Lizzy with her chickens.  I read two entire books during this part of our stay.  I also played rummikub with my Dad even if I lost.  Next time Dad!










Another favorite element of our time spent in South Carolina is I always set aside a day to spend with Nathan's birth family.  People always give me a look when I tell them that this is always a crucial part of our trip.  We love them and they love us; we are family now too!  I was too busy visiting and we were in the water so I didn't take good pictures but we went to their house this visit.  We ate pizza, swam in the pool, and the kids played inside while the adults all visited.  Hours passed and I finally kicked myself out but it was hard to do because the kids were in heaven and the adults were enjoying chatting.


After the visit there I went back to Dad's house and this cutie was waiting for me.  I am so happy to be an aunt now!  I can't wait to spoil this kid rotten!


Cousins


We spent one morning at a Colonial Kid's Event.



This was after I said to give Elizabeth some space...


Julia did my hair for me.



Dad took us all out to dinner that night and Joshua kept eating the honey butter by itself!


The boys were determined to make their cousin smile.



We had a good visit and despite a "fun adventure" I had with a flat van tire that needed to be replaced all went well.  Sunday evening it was time for the hour drive to our next phase of the trip.  We all met up at our hotel in Rock Hill.  JoAnne had an appointment the next day so we all planned to stay together in the hotel that night.  The boys were wild and it took forever for them to settle down and sleep that first night.  I wasn't sure Matt was excited to be reunited with us or not.  Monday morning was great though.  We enjoyed the hotel pool all to ourselves and decided that definitely goes on the "someday wish list."  


After swimming, we met up with Mom Turek and it was time to head to her house and set the boys up there.  We took our van to get an oil change and to check out another tire.  Matt also had to study.  That evening we went to Wal-Mart, cooked dinner, and we played out side.  The day disappeared pretty quickly and Matt and I went back to the hotel to sleep.  


Tuesday we took off for Columbia to play at the children's museum there.  Honestly, it isn't my favorite thing to do.  Kids love it though but it is just hours of watching kids play.  It is in the category of "fun-ish."  If I were better person maybe I would love it ;-)







Then Mom took the kids back to her house and Matt and I stayed to eat dinner with a few friends and attend the temple.  We are back at three months in a row.  This is a big deal as we have struggled to get temple attendance figured out here in Mississippi.  We are on a roll now though!  

Wednesday was playing in Rock Hill in the morning/afternoon and then we left to drive back to Raleigh for Matt's exam.  Matt and I have spent a lot of time in the car together lately.  The boys had a blast with Nani and PopPop WITHOUT Mom and Dad.  I also felt like I got in some good quality visiting with Mom.  It is usually hard to talk to her as the boys demand to be heard by her first.  I think we were around enough this visit with them having their own time that they shared her with me and I really enjoyed that.  

Thursday,  Matt took his exam and I packed the van and checked out of the hotel.  I tried to help make this as low stress as possible.   We then took off for Concord for phase 3 of our trip, The Great Wolf Lodge.  This was in celebration of a certain birthday so I will post that one next!



No comments: