The Cutest Blog on the Block

Monday, September 19, 2011

Unsolvable Mazes and Unsuccessful Apple Dish

I just joined a cooking and book club online led by one of my friends that we made during our time in Columbia. This month we were to read The Maze Runner by James Dashner and make something using apples. Here is my entry below (beware there are a few spoilers since this was written for people to read that have already read the book):

If you enjoyed The Hunger Games then you will enjoy The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I must say that I found The Maze Runner to be captivating from cover to cover. I admit that I didn't read for very much detail even though James Dashner does a fabulous job of visually describing their world, but I simply couldn't slow down. I loved the opening line describing Thomas's arrival. "He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air." I was impressed by the determination of the runners. I have a hard time committing to my few miles each morning. :-) Would I run for 2 years from dawn to dusk looking for a pattern or a way out? The people of the Glade definitely needed the arrival of Teresa and the remembering serum from Tomas to get a hint. No way would they have ever figured out the clue in the maze otherwise. I also was impressed with the society established in such trying circumstances and all of the jobs with their creative titles. I wonder what job I would be assigned? What job would each of you be assigned? This book ends without satisfaction though so book 2 is on hold for me at the library and the final book in this trilogy releases this October so I am hoping closure for this well-written book is just around the corner.

I love to read and I am learning to love to cook. That being said I don't have a ton of tried and true recipes at my disposal. I found this recipe for apple-cinnamon baked french toast. We love breakfast at our house so I was excited to try this recipe. First, I omitted one of the 1/3 cups of sugar thinking it would be too sweet. Wrong-never leave out sugar. Save calories in your day someplace else. Second, I learned that I'm not a nutmeg person. I would reduce the amount of nutmeg to 1/4 tsp. Otherwise, I think this would be a delicious treat. It was certainly easy and it made the house smell wonderful. My husband was sure surprised/disappointed when he took a big bite. Oh well, I hope for more success on my next cooking adventure.

I took a picture after I had scooped out samples for all so it isn't beautiful but you get the idea. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

He he, love the apple french toast recipe!! Just cut down on sugar slowly after you've tried it once ;)